Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Have You Checked Out Pinterest?


It would appear that Pinterest is the next big thing on the web. It is a virtual pinboard where you can organize and share images you find on the web. Once you register for the site,  you can create various themed "pinboards" and "pin" images to the pinboards. For example, if you are into photography, you can pin images which you find on the web or on your computer to your "Photography" pinboard. Like with Facebook, people like your pins. Like with Twitter, people can follow you and see what you pin to your pinboards from time to time.

Businesses have gotten into the act as people pin images of a business' product they like to their pinboards. Images sourced on the web will link people back to the business' website. The "Like" and "Following" features create an opportunity for viral marketing of a product or service.

As recently reported in Inc Magazine, when someone wore a Camiband, a new fashion accessory, recently on the Today Show, they got 3,500 hits on their website. However, when a raving fan pinned an image of a Camiband on their pinboard, it went viral and Camiband got over 40,000 hits. Clearly, Pinterest works for B2C businesses. It will be interesting to see how B2B businesses take advantage of it.

Pinterest has an interesting approach to registration. They have taken a page off gmail's marketing strategy. A user must apply to be invited to join. I have yet to hear of someone not being invited to join, but their approach has helped to create the buzz that's starting to fan out. Pinterest is growing fast. According to web measurement company CommScore, in January 2012, 13.76m people worldwide visited, and spent an average of 89 minutes there.

I have started a Pinterest page myself and I have begun experimenting with it. I plan on having an Entrepreneurship pinboard where I will pin images of interest to my following of fellow entrepreneurs. I will also create a Photography pinboard on which I will pin images relating to my hobby. Follow me on Pinterest to see how it evolves. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Check out Pinterest yourself and I will follow you! 

No comments: